- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1/2 jar marinara sauce, or 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp shallots, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp aleppo pepper, or crushed red pepper flakes
- handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- handful kalamata olives, halved
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- crispy salami strips* see notes
- fried halloumi cheese* see notes
- crumbled feta cheese
- more kalamata olives
- fresh herbs (basil, parsley, cilantro)
1. Heat olive oil in small cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, shallots and spices. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes watching the garlic so it doesn’t burn.
2. Add marinara sauce or crushed tomatoes and let simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in cherry tomatoes and kalamata olives. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings if necessary.
4. Using the back of a spoon, make 2 wells and carefully crack the eggs in.
5. Transfer to oven on broil and cook anywhere from 5-7 minutes, until egg whites are set.
6. When eggs are done, remove from heat and add crispy salami, feta, more olives and fresh herbs.
7. Serve with fried halloumi cheese or bread.
*Crispy Salami: while sauce is simmering, using a separate skillet, cook salami slices until crispy over medium heat. This should take about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towel and set aside.
*Fried Halloumi Cheese: using same skillet as salami, cook halloumi slice for about 3 minutes per side until outside is nice and brown.