This salsa verde chicken is the perfect filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and chilaquiles. Plus it’s super freezer-friendly for make ahead meals!
I know there are a million recipes on the inter-webs for salsa verde chicken, and I’m not really reinventing the wheel here. I’ve seen recipes that use slow cookers, pressure cookers, oven baked and made on the stove top. I opted to just do this one on the stove top since I wasn’t too concerned about this recipe being hands off.
What I opted to do a little different than most recipes, was to make the salsa verde from scratch. Although it would have been really easy to just dump in a jar of salsa from the store. I wanted to play around with my new KitchenAid® Artisan® Mini Stand Mixer and with Food Processor attachment that KitchenAid sent me to try out. So, I used the dicing blade to chop up all my veggies for the salsa verde, then the slicing and shredding blades for some garnishes.
Although I typically don’t mind doing all the slicing and dicing and chopping, it was handing to have the food processor attachment to knock out the onions and peppers super quick! I also went ahead and used the slicing blade to slice my radishes for garnish, then swapped in the shredding blade to shred my raw cheddar for garnish. So fast!
You guys saw just how much I used my saw how much I used my stand mixer during the holidays for ALLLLLL the Boozy Maple Bourbon Marshmallows I made for Christmas gifts! I thought I was gonna blow the motor!
SALSA VERDE CHICKEN, FTW!
This recipe for salsa verde chicken is pretty versatile since you can literally use it as a filling for tons of things! I’m always eating things in bowls for lunch and dinner, so I cooked some cauli rice and topped it with the salsa verde chicken for a super simple meal.
You can also use it as an enchilada filling. Tacos and burritos are always good with salsa verde chicken. Oh oh oh, how about for a killer salsa verde chicken chilaquiles for breakfast! All you gotta do is put an egg on it! OMG, and then pour on some cilantro chimichurri just to make it totally over the top amazing!
Okay, I hope you have some ideas on what you can serve this delicious and healthy salsa verde chicken with. I’ll be keeping my eyes open on Instagram to see if you make it! Don’t forget to tag me in the photo and/or use #thefeistykitchen hashtag!!
Again, just wanted to give a big thank you to KitchenAid for sponsoring this post. I’ve loved all my KitchenAid products for the past 20 years I’ve been playing with them in the kitchen!
Stay up to date with everything KITCHENAID related on social media!
Here’s the recipe!
Salsa Verde Chicken
This dish is perfect for your next taco bar/burrito bowl situation!
- 2 lbs chicken breast or thighs (boneless, skinless), cut into 1
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 green bell pepper
- 1 serrano or jalapeno peppers
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 23 oz jar crushed tomatillos
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 lime wedges
- Optional garnishes: raw cheddar, radishes, cilantro, sour cream, avocado
Prep Veggies with KitchenAid:
1. Using Food Processor attachment with dicing blade, dice onion, bell peppers, and serrano peppers.
2. Change blade to slicing blade and slice radishes for garnish.
3. Change blade to shredding blade and shred cheese for garnish.
For Salsa Verde Chicken:
4. Heat large Dutch Oven over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil until hot. Meanwhile, season chicken on both sides with sea salt and pepper. When oil is hot, add chicken and brown for about 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
5. In same dutch oven, add remaining 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and when hot, add diced onions and peppers. Add garlic, cumin, and oregano cook until veggies are soft, about 10 minutes.
6. Pour in jar of crushed tomatillos, stirring to incorporate, then let cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes to reduce. Make sure to stir several times.
7. Add back in chicken and simmer over low for about 10 minutes or until chicken is fork tender and can shred easily with a fork. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
8. Stir in chopped cilantro and squeeze in some fresh lime juice. Then serve and garnish with your favorite toppings!