These delicious mexican mocha almond butter cookies are gluten free, flourless, refined sugar free, and have the perfect balance of sweet meets spicy!
I’m definitely not one who bakes a lot unless it’s a gluten free mix from a box. Two reasons: I’m just not that into figuring out how to get the right texture and consistency with the gluten and grain free flours. It never seems to compare to the real deal to me. Secondly, I don’t really eat that many sweets or carb-y type things at home.
Not to say I never indulge. I definitely do on occasion.
Enter Mexican Mocha Almond Butter Cookies!
I have fond memories of growing up and helping my mom in the kitchen. I used to love to be her little helper and making cookies was my fav. Especially holiday cookies!
These mexican mocha inspired cookies are perfect for someone who wants a little holiday treat, without feeling like shit from eating the typical sugar loaded desserts. I used almond butter, an egg, raw cacao powder, ground espresso, spices, and a combo of mostly erythritol plus some coconut sugar for sweetener.
This new almond butter from Lindsay is SUPER creamy and makes the cookies come out amazing in texture! Super similar to a traditional crap filled commercial peanut butter brand, but without all the junky ingredients!
I may have gone through a few jars in the process of testing these cookies out! It’s so hard to resist eating a spoonful every now and then! My fav flavor is the Honey Cinnamon!
Okay enough talking… here’s the recipe for these mexican mocha almond butter cookies. Go make them!
- 1 1/2 cups almond butter (I used Lindsay Honey Cinnamon Almond Butter)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup erythritol
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp espresso (or finely ground coffee)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt, plus extra for garnish
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
1. In a medium size mixing bowl, add all ingredients except chocolate chips, and mix together well.
2. Fold in chocolate chips until dispersed.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 20-30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
5. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Using a small cookie scoop, portion out 16-18 cookies.
7. Flatten with fingers or use the bottom of a glass
8. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with flake salt.
9. Let cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to baking rack.