It’s getting warm and that means staying extra hydrated this summer! You’re gonna love this delicious and super hydrating watermelon mojito refresher! Make a pitcher for your next BBQ or put some in your water bottle to replace those lost electrolytes after a workout.
It’s feeling like summer around these parts with temps hitting triple digits this week in NorCal and that means if you do anything outdoors you’re gonna be sweating. And with sweating you lose water, but you also lose precious electrolytes.
PSA: Dudes. it’s super important to stay hydrated!
So, YES, drink your water, and drink LOTS of it. I’m gonna guess you need to drink a lot more than you think! Water is the most important nutrient in our bodies making up 55-60% of our body mass. Water enables cellular hydration, improves oxygen delivery to the cells, maintains normal electrical properties (think heartbeat), and regulates body temperature.
General Water Intake Guidelines:
Body Weight (lbs)/2 = minimum # of ounces per day (not to exceed 1 gallon)
If you consume any form of diuretics like caffeine or alcohol (mmm hmmm), you need even MORE!
Body Weight (lbs)/2 + (# ounces of diuretic x 1.5) = minimum # of ounces per day (not to exceed 1 gallon)
Example: 150lbs, drink 8oz cup of coffee 6oz glass of wine
(150/2) + (14oz x 1.5), (75 + 21) = 96 ounces/day!!
But, you also need to drink your electrolytes. And I don’t mean those shitty, sugar/HFCS laden sports drinks with Red 40 dye. Ew. Gross. I mean using filtered water (my fav water filter) plus natural flavors from fruits and fresh herbs plus natural sources of sodium, magnesium, and other trace minerals. So to help you out, I’ve made an easy, summery watermelon mojito refresher that you can whip up any time you’re feeling extra thirsty!
The secret ingredient in this recipe is a magnesium supplement. My favorite product for years has been CALM by Natural Vitality, which is a powdered form of magnesium. I typically will drink it before bedtime as it promotes relaxation and is dubbed the “anti-stress” supplement. But it’s also great to incorporate throughout the day to help maintain your chill! And especially when the weather gets hot, we need to make sure we are getting enough electrolytes and minerals so we can keep our bodies functioning properly.
- heart health (arrhythmias, hypertension, blood pressure…check out my blog post here for a heart healthy gummy recipe)
- prevention of kidney stones (I’ve had them and trust me you don’t want to experience it EVER!)
- helps with alleviating symptoms of PMS (cramps, water retention, fatigue)
- anxiety and depression
- hydration to the cells
- and many more things…
Are you ready for to see what’s in this watermelon mojito refresher? Clearly, I’m playing off the mojito cocktail by incorporating lime and fresh mint. Which both are amazing water flavor enhancers on their own.
But, I’ve added some fresh watermelon juice. Which is SUPER easy to do. All you need to do is blend in a blender, and strain in a mesh strainer. Voila. Watermelon juice! So easy! PS, make extra watermelon juice and pour into large ice cube moulds to add to your drink!
Watermelon Mojito Refresher, FTW!
Okay, let’s get to the deets…
Watermelon Mojito Refresher
- 4 cups watermelon juice, strained
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 lime, sliced (for garnish)
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 4 tsps CALM magnesium powder
- 40 drops trace mineral drops
- pinch sea salt
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (per serving)
1. Blend cubed watermelon and strain to get your juice.
2. In a large pitcher, muddle the mint leaves at the bottom with the end of a wooden spoon. You want the leaves to get nice and bruised to release the mint oils.
3. Add fresh lime juice, CALM powder, pinch salt, and trace mineral drops and collagen peptides if using. Stir well.
4. Pour into glasses with ice, garnish with lime slices.
I had extra watermelon, so I juiced and strained it and poured into large ice cube tray moulds!
This would be really good with some sparkling mineral water too!