Chicken Fajita Skillet
I’m not a huge fan of cooking chicken breasts. To be honest, I’m a total thigh girl. However, I had a package of chicken breasts that I needed to cook, and I had two main goals: 1) juicy and flavorful chicken and 2) easy to reheat throughout the week for leftovers. This chicken fajita skillet was created during one of my Sunday meal prepping sessions and I’m pretty sure I achieved both of my goals. Side note: I’m seriously loving setting a few hours aside each weekend, typically a Sunday, for prepping a few dishes to eat during the week.
Best Quick Marinade for Chicken – Can you say juicy?!
I made a quick marinade for this chicken breast to hang out in while you prep the other ingredients. Nobody likes dry chicken, NOBODY! The chicken stays juicy and each strip is loaded with tons of flavor points. The marinade is super simple: 1 part oil plus 1 part acid plus flavor (herbs, spices, salts). I used avocado oil, lime juice, and my favorite taco seasoning from FlavorGod, as well as Himalayan sea salt. Use your favorite taco seasoning here, but make sure you fresh squeezed lime juice from a real lime, none of that stuff in the little green plastic lime shaped bottle, because EW! I know you know what I’m talking about 😉
You can serve this chicken fajita skillet on it’s own, with the addition of white rice or cauli rice, on top of a salad, in tacos, or maybe with some crispy paleo plantain chips!
Equipment You’ll Need:
TIP: I found that it’s much easier to slice the chicken breast if it’s slightly frozen still. And be sure you are using a sharp knife!! Be careful when slicing the chicken in half horizontally. Place one hand on top of the chicken breast to make sure it doesn’t slide around on the cutting board.
Are you guys following me on Instagram? I share a lot of simple and easy meals that aren’t necessarily a full recipe. Check out how I used the chicken fajita skillet leftovers for a mid-week lunch in the picture. Don’t forget to tag me if you create one of my dishes!Print
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp Taco seasoning
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise to cut thickness in half, then slice into 1/2 inch strips. Place chicken in a large bowl with quick marinade of lime juice, 2 tbsp avocado oil, sea salt, taco seasoning. Stir well to coat chicken and set aside.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium high heat and when hot, add 2 tbsp avocado oil. Then add bell pepper and onion mixture, cooking in 2 batches. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring a few times. Set aside in a bowl.
- Wipe down skillet, and add marinated chicken in 2 batches. Cook for about 5-7 minutes. When chicken is cooked, add back in fajita veggies and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Enjoy with rice and tortillas!
Don’t forget to PIN it, SHARE it, PRINT it, and MAKE it!