Creamy Roasted Parsnip Soup topped with Green Apple and Crispy Bacon
Creamy, delicious, comforting soup.
I don’t make a lot of soup, but when I do, I want it to warm me up from my head to my toes. This bowl of deliciousness was created for two reasons. First off, I wanted to make a recipe for the Whole30 and OMGhee mystery box challenge on Instagram. The challenge was to create a Whole30 approved recipe using apples, parsnips, and OMGhee butter. The second reason, was because I ran myself into the ground this past week and I really needed a meal that would help with my Saturday of R&R. And a creamy, hot bowl of soup definitely fit what I had in mind.
I had actually been thinking of things to make for this mystery box challenge while working in San Francisco this week. My parents happened to be housesitting for my brother and we overlapped for one night, so my mom and I were brainstorming recipe ideas. We were thinking of things like muffins and flourless cakes, when I realized that those did not fit the criteria of being Whole30 approved. So, scratch those ideas and I still wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to create. But I knew I wanted to have bacon in it some how and I love the crisp and tart flavors of Granny Smith apples too.
Funny thing happened, I got like zero sleep in SF during my stay for multiple reasons. And I totally overdid it with training and tennis when I got home. Recipe for disaster when you push your body too hard physically, while running on fumes. So I decided to wait until I got a good night’s sleep in my own bed and then see what my brain came up with to make.
That’s when I woke up this morning and decided it had to be a soup. So, I looked in the refrigerator to see what else I had to add to this soup idea. I knew I wanted to roasted the parsnips to develop a deeper flavor. And I had some green cabbage and sweet Maui onion in the fridge from earlier in the week. Boom. Throw all those on a tray and roast them up in some ghee and Flavor God seasoning. Then I saw that I had chicken stock and canned coconut cream. So those were added to blend it all together into a fabulous and creamy soup. Next I topped it off with matchstick apple slices and crispy bacon! (Make sure if doing Whole30, you use compliant, sugar free bacon. 5280 Meat offers a fresh pork side that has no sugar and you can easily season yourself to your liking!)
I hope you try this comforting soup and enjoy it on a day when you feel like curling up on the couch with a blanket!
Equipment You’ll Need:
- Baking sheet
- Vegetable peeler
- High powered blender – or- immersion blender
- Parchment paper
Creamy Roasted Parsnip Soup
2 small or 4 large bowls
- 3 parsnips
- 1 sweet Maui onion
- 1/2 head green cabbage
- 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 8 oz chicken broth/stock
- 4T ghee
- 1T Garlic seasoning (FlavorGod)
- Pinch Sea salt
- 4 pieces bacon (optional)
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Prep veggies: peel parsnips and cut into chunks; peel and chop onion; roughly cut cabbage
- Put bacon and veggies on separate parchment lined baking trays and put both in oven side by side. Toss veggies on tray in 2T melted ghee and garlic seasoning
- Bacon will cook in approx 15 min and veggies about 20-25 min
- Transfer bacon to lined paper towel lined plate to cool. While veggies finish cooking, use a mandolin or knife to cut the apple into very fine matchsticks. Squeeze a little lemon juice on to prevent browning
- Once veggies are roasted, take out and let cool a few min. Then you can puree in a high powered blender with the chicken broth and coconut cream until very smooth. Or you can use an immersion blender in a stock pot with the broth and coconut milk.
- Top with a drizzle of melted ghee, chopped bacon, and apple matchsticks. Enjoy as an appetizer or large bowl for main course!