Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner, like literally tomorrow! I created a simple and delicious guacamole recipe that you can make for your gathering, plus a fun menu for an epic DIY taco bar party!
I don’t know why, but Cinco de Mayo is one of my favorite holidays to have fun with good friends and good food! One of my friends who is from Mexico asked me why us Americans like to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Well, I don’t know about you, but I love the flavors of Mexican food, and any excuse to have a celebration and diy taco bar party with my friends!
And just to clarify, I know that Cinco de Mayo isn’t Independence Day in Mexico. It’s actually the celebration of the battle the Mexican army won against the French army in the state of Puebla on May 5, 1862.
For whatever the reason, Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo hard AF! (ALLL the tacos!)
Okay, let’s taco bout the food lineup for your Cinco celebration. I’m pretty sure guacamole is the star of the spread, so I’m gonna give you that recipe first, followed by all my tips for a good DIY Taco Bar Party! Sound good?!
I mean, avocados are probably my favorite food group. What else do you need to know?!
Oh, they also happen to be nutrient dense AF, packing in lots of vitamins and minerals and beneficial plant compounds. Plus healthy fats and fiber!
How to Throw an Epic DIY Taco Bar Party
Ya need good FOOD. It’s the main attraction for any party, amiright?! I’ve put together a list of my favorite recipes and things I think would make an epic par-tay.
What’s to Eat?
Here’s what I would do if/when I throw a DIY taco bar party for my friends
- CHICKEN: salsa verde chicken
- BEEF: shredded barbacoa beef
- PORK: slow cooker pork carnitas
- SEAFOOD: grilled shrimp or salmon with my margarita marinade in free ebook are amazing!
- VEGGIES: fajita veggies, cubed roasted butternut squash, black beans
- smoky chipotle salsa (in free ebook–super easy made in a blender!)
- guacamole (DUH!)
- diced tomatoes
- sliced radishes
- pickled red onions
- cilantro chimichurri
- spicy pepitas
- cashew lime crema (dairy free) or regular sour cream
- cilantro lime cauli rice or regular rice
- black or pinto beans
- tortillas, try these paleo tortillas or crispy cheese shells in my free ebook
- tortilla chips
Use any of these recipes/ingredients above for making:
- taco salad
- burrito bowls
- taco salad
- walking tacos aka tacos in a bag (provide lunch size paper bags, fill bottom with chips then toppings of choice and a fork!)
What’s to Drink?
Here are some classic staple beverages for any Taco Tuesday or Cinco de Mayo party
- For a crowd, try making them in large batches and serve in pitchers, or individual mason jars kept cold in an ice chest on the rocks!
- Check out this how to make a classic margarita guide!
- AQUA FRESCAS
- Try my Hibiscus Aqua Fresca recipe in free ebook
- ASSORTED MEXICAN BEER
- (Corona, Pacifico, Dos Equis, Negro Modelo, etc.)
There you go! Hope you enjoy your celebration just as much as I will! And don’t forget to save this Pin for How to Throw a DIY Taco Bar Party for Cinco de Mayo and Taco Tuesday. You know I live everyday like it’s Taco Tuesday and I think you should too!
PIN THIS DIY TACO BAR PARTY MENU AND GUACAMOLE RECIPE FOR LATER!