Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
Don’t you just love sweet potatoes! They are probably one of my favorite carbs to indulge in. And they are so versatile too! I had been wanting to make hasselback potatoes for a long time, but I very rarely, like once a year rarely, eat white potatoes. So why not try it with sweet potatoes? This recipe is super easy and a fun presentation for the humble sweet potato too!
Here’s what I did… On a cutting board, put the sweet potato in the middle and on either side of it place a chop stick or wooden spoon handle. Using a sharp knife, cut down until you hit the chop stick, and you will not cut through the potato. Make a slice approximately every 1/4″ until the whole potato is evenly sliced. I am wishing I would have taken step by step photos for this one. Maybe I next time I make these!
Drizzle with the melted butter/ghee and seasoning mixture. In this case I used ghee from OMGhee, sprinkled on sea salt and Flavor God Chipotle seasoning, and fresh minced garlic and parsley. You want to make sure the mixture gets in between the hasselback slices. I baked in a cast iron skillet in a 425F degree oven for approximately 35 minutes. Added a teeny bit of shredded cheese and put back in oven for another 5 minutes or until cheese melted. When out of oven, I topped with more chopped parsley, some chopped scallions, and finally, chopped bacon from 5280meat in Colorado!
This dish is a wonderful accompaniment to your steak! Or really anything! Also great for making ahead for meal prepping since the leftovers are delicious!Print
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 4T ghee/butter, melted
- 2T Flavor God Chipotle seasoning
- 1t sea salt
- 4T fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4T chopped scallions
- 4T shredded cheese (optional, omit for paleo)
- 4T cooked bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Using technique above, cut slices into potatoes (don’t cut through to bottom)
- In a small bowl, combine melted ghee/butter, chipotle seasoning, sea salt, parsley, and garlic.
- Drizzle/brush on 1T of mixture to each sweet potato getting in between the slices.
- Bake in cast iron skillet or baking dish for approx 35 min or until soft.
- Add cheese and cook another 5 minutes until cheese melts (optional.)
- Remove from oven and top with more scallions and chopped bacon.